Monday, February 1, 2016

Blog #1

             In my opinion, computers are far more important than not important in the educational experience. First of all, basically everything is created with using a computer; syllabus’, tests, essays, projects, etc. Everyday our teacher hands us a piece of paper that is intended for class that she used a program on a computer to use. Kids are becoming more technically advanced every day because of the use of computers for their educational experience. If we did not have computers to learn and work from, we could do it but it would be a difficult process. There are some concerns that deal with technology due to the fact that some schools are not using computers as much as some other schools do. This may be because of school financial problems which can be very difficult for those schools to help children understand technology.
             The ISTE standards are a way to let students know specifically what they need to know about technology and the advances that may come with it. The standard that I find most interesting deals with communication and collaboration. Its goal is for students to use technology to communicate and work together with other students, whether in the same room or at a long distance. This is very helpful when it comes to online class because that is basically what they are doing; communicating, working and learning at a distance. However, I feel that not everyone should be expected to follow these standards because some have not had the privilege of learning about different technological advances in schools for students.
             When it comes to youth being labeled as a “digital native”, I disagree with that. If you are considered to be a digital native then it means that you have grown up in the digital age and you know all about technology. I disagree with youth being labeled this because not everyone has had the privilege to grow up with technology surrounding them simply because they could not afford it. When comparing my technological skills to my teachers, I find that the older and even some of the middle-aged teachers do not know how to use a computer as well as I do and they usually end up asking the class how to do something on the computer. Some differences that I anticipate between me and my future students is that they will know how to use technology better than me and I will not be able to fully teach them about the advances in technology because I am trying to learn myself at the same time.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting the way you think computers are important in the educational experience, I didn't really think about those aspects before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the term digital native shouldn't be used to label an entire generation, because, like you stated, not everyone has the same opportunity to use different forms of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Communication is a very significant and useful part of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I agree that future students will know more then we do I do not think it will be by much. As technology continues to become and integral part of our education system, the demand for teachers knowledge in technology will continue to surge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that technology has many benefits in and out of the classroom. I also agree with the concern you posed about our reliance on technology and that some schools do not have the financial abilities to afford it.

    ReplyDelete